Thursday, July 12, 2012

Work of art - the next great artist?


The answer to that question is probably not, but it is a lot of fun.  If you don't know what I am talking about it is a US reality tv series where they get some emerging artists compete to win 100 grand and a show at the Brooklyn Museum.  Series 1 screened over here on the Studio channel on Foxtel in May but it is back on again in repeats - episode 2 is this Saturday so set your IQs to tape.

I won't spoil the ending but encourage anyone interested in the visual arts to watch.  There are some big name judges and guest artists involved.  I just love getting to watch Simon de Pury on the small screen.  Simon is a deadset legend and runs my favourite New York auction house, Phillips de Pury, which used to have (and maybe still does, I haven't been since 2008) a great space in the meatpacking district.  I am usually barking epithets in a german swiss accent days later after hearing his one liners.  His presence is worth tuning in alone but highlights were Andres Serrano (of piss christ fame) in episode 4 and David LaChappelle in the season finale (episode 10).  There are some great lines that any art student needs to write down.  How's this, "I'm not responsible for your experience of my work".  I think I am stencilling that over something I own ...

Points:  3 to co-host Simon de Pury, 2 to contestant Miles and 1 to Serrano (who also had a great line about shocking vs bland art that I did not write down but will when I catch the repeat*).  I wish Studio would go ahead and screen series 2, otherwise I have to actually work out how to use my apple tv which is sitting in its box still!

* Postscript: "I like to make pieces that make people feel something. Any reaction is better than indifference." Andres Serrano.

No comments:

Post a Comment